The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc and Books of Discovery presents the
LatinX in Biomechanics Outreach Through National Biomechanics Day Grant Program
The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc, the official sponsor of National Biomechanics Day, and Books of Discovery, will empower individuals at universities to create their own NBD event centered on promoting Biomechanics in the LatinX community.
Competitive application process: The application will be limited to four pages including:
- Application title and identify this particular grant program. Succinct is preferred.
- Applicant’s name, affiliation, position (M.S. or Ph.D. student or equivalent), email address and mentor’s name, position and email address.
- Personal statement: why are you interested in hosting an NBD event aimed at diversifying biomechanics?
- University people involved: list participating institution faculty and students (please add your collaborators’ names; these can be changed later).
- Target population: school or community group of high school students with predominantly LatinX students/participants (minimum 25 students/participants). We target primarily high school students but you can work with younger students if you wish.
- Description of NBD event: briefly describe your planned activities. Your event can be live, virtual or a hybrid combination.
- Recruitment plan: how will you attract/inform your target group? We strongly request active recruitment over general announcements. Please contact local high schools or community groups, for example, and invite them to participate. This will enhance your capacity to recruit the minimum group size.
- Budget: list items and individual costs and the total budget.
- Additional information pertinent to your situation.
Eligibility requirements: LatinX student enrolled in M.S. or Ph.D. or equivalent programs in Biomechanics or a related field at any university worldwide (any and all Biomechanics students can be members of your NBD team). Willingness to:
- Hold an NBD 2024 event ensuring at least half the participants are LatinX students.
- Register for NBD 2024 on the NBD website, here. Please register all lab faculty and students participating in the event (not needed to register the high school students).
- Submit a short final report about the event to The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc. (instructions provided at a later date).
- Submit a university or institution receipt to The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc. (instructions provided at a later date).
- Record the NBD event with photos and video (if possible) and share these with NBD and on social media.
More than one application can be submitted from a single institution but only one application per institution will be funded. Exceptions can be made at the discretion of The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc Board of Directors.
Please submit your application in one pdf file to: NBD.National.Biomechanics.Day@gmail.com . You may also submit preliminary questions to this address.
Up to five awards will be distributed, each with:
- $1,000 to support NBD event expenses (e.g. producing promotional materials, lab supplies for instruments, school/community group travel costs, food, other), registration and travel fees for a 2024 biomechanics conference (must be approved by TBI, Inc) as a student participant and travel costs to this meeting. It is expected that any biomechanics conference funds will not exceed approximately half the total grant amount. $60 will be removed from the grant awards requiring a wire transfer. Funds cannot be used for stipends.
- Books of Discovery will provide up to five biomechanics text books for the high school or schools participating in your event.
- Award funds will be sent to the appropriate university or institutional office.
- Recognition through social media, professional societies and TBI Inc/NBD website
- Applications open Nov 15, 2023.
- Application deadline Jan 26, 2024.
- Award Decision: Feb 16, 2024.
- There are no F & A or Indirect funds associated with this grant.
- NBD will provide guidance and assistance on how to develop and host an NBD event. (See NBD Guidelines document through this link).
- Please view photos and videos from hundreds of past NBD events in our Archives if you need to get a better understanding of an NBD event here.
We bring this announcement to the attention of members of the LatinX In Biomechanix and hope you can submit applications.