The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc and Bertec Corporation present the
Women in Biomechanics Outreach Through National Biomechanics Day Grant Program
The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc, the official sponsor of National Biomechanics Day and Bertec Corporation will empower women biomechanists to create their NBD events centered on promoting women in Biomechanics.
Competitive application process: The application will be limited to four pages including:
- Application title. Succinct is preferred.
- Applicant’s name, affiliation, position (M.S. or Ph.D. student), email address and mentor’s name, position and email address.
- Personal statement: why are you interested in hosting an NBD event aimed at diversifying biomechanics?
- University people involved: list participating faculty and students (please add your collaborators’ names; can be changed later).
- Target population: school or community group of high school students with predominantly female student/participants (minimum 25 student/participants). We target primarily high school students but you can work with younger students.
- Description of NBD event: briefly describe your planned activities. Your event can be live, virtual or a hybrid combination.
- Recruitment plan: how will you attract/inform your target group? We strongly request active recruitment over general announcements. Please contact local high schools or community groups, for example, and invite them to participate. This will enhance your capacity to recruit the minimum group size.
- Budget: list items and costs.
- Additional information pertinent to your situation.
Eligibility requirements: Applicant must gender-identify as female or nonbinary and be a student enrolled in an M.S. or Ph.D. program in Biomechanics or a related field at any university worldwide (any and all Biomechanics students and faculty can be members of your NBD team). Willingness to:
- Hold an NBD 2023 event ensuring at least half the participants are women students.
- Register for NBD 2023 on the NBD website, here. Please register all lab faculty and students participating in the event (not needed to register the high school students)
- Submit a succinct final report about the event to The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc. (instructions provided at a later date).
- Submit a university or institution receipt to The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc. (instructions provided at a later date).
- Record the NBD event with photos and video (if possible) and share these with NBD and on social media.
- Attend NBD and other educational outreach sessions at 2023 conferences, if scheduling allows.
More than one application can be submitted from a single institution but only one application per institution will be funded. Exceptions can be made at the discretion of The Biomechanics Initiative, Inc Board of Directors.
Please submit your application in one pdf file to: NBD.National.Biomechanics.Day@gmail.com . You may also submit preliminary questions to this address.
Up to five awards will be distributed, each with:
- $1,000 to support NBD event expenses (e.g. producing promotional materials, lab supplies for instruments, school/community group travel costs, food, other (note: funds cannot be used for stipends, $60 will be removed from grant awards requiring a wire transfer), registration fees for a 2023 biomechanics conference (must be approved by TBI, Inc) as a student participant and travel costs to this meeting. It is expected that any biomechanics conference funds will not exceed approximately half the total grant amount.
- Award funds will be sent to the appropriate university or institutional office.
- Recognition through social media, professional societies, and TBI Inc/NBD, and Bertec Corporation websites.
- Applications open Oct 10, 2022.
- Application deadline Dec 15, 2022.
- Award Decision: Feb 15, 2023.
- There are no F & A or Indirect Funds associated with this grant.
- NBD will provide guidance and assistance on how to develop and host an NBD event. (See NBD Guidelines document through this link).
- Please view photos and videos from hundreds of past NBD events in our Archives if you need to get a better understanding of an NBD event here.
We bring this announcement to the attention of members of International Women In Biomechanics and hope you can submit applications.